An observed assessment based upon the safe loading, securing and unloading of a wheelchair to and from a wheelchair accessible vehicle.
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate a variety of skills such as correctly positioning the vehicle for disabled access, assembly of the wheelchair ramp/lift, securing the wheelchair passenger in place using clamping equipment, as well as safely unloading the wheelchair. The driver will also be expected to provide a running commentary / role play throughout the assessment to display their knowledge.
Successful candidates will be issued with a copy of their marking sheet and a pass certificate
Candidates can also combine their wheelchair assessment together with a taxi driver assessment as a block booking at a discounted rate.
Wheelchair assessments are currently available for the following local authorities:
- Ashford Borough Council
- Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council
- Bedford Borough Council
- Bracknell Forest Council
- Canterbury City Council
- Chichester District Council
- City of York Council
- Derby City Council
- Erewash Borough Council
- Guildford Borough Council
- Havant Borough Council
- Maidstone Borough Council
- Portsmouth City Council
- Peterborough City Council
- Rushmoor Borough Council
- Sevenoaks District Council
- Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council (SMBC)
- South Derbyshire District Council
- Southampton City Council
- Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
- Waverley Borough Council
- West Berkshire District Council
- Wokingham Borough Council
- Wycombe District Council
All bookings should be made online using the RED links on this page. For enquiries call the office on 0333 700 0157, Monday to Friday 09:30 – 15:00.
Please Note: Once a date and time for your assessment has been agreed between you and your assessor, you may cancel or change the appointment date by contacting the Blue Lamp Trust on 0333 700 0157 up to 5 clear working days prior to the test without incurring costs.
Your 5 clear working day cancellation period cannot include weekends, the day of your assessment or the day you give us notice. For example, if you have a test booked for a Thursday you need to advise us by the previous Wednesday.
Changes made within 5 clear working days will not qualify for a refund and re-booking will attract the full fee. If your test is booked in less than 5 working days changes cannot be made and refunds will not be given.
• £40 (Inclusive of VAT)
• 30 Minute Session
• 1:1 Assessment
• Candidate must provide a wheelchair accessible vehicle
• The Assessor will provide a wheelchair
• FAQ Guide
Candidates can combine their wheelchair assessment together with a taxi driver assessment as a block booking at a discounted rate.
• £117 (inclusive of VAT)
• 90 Minute Session
• 1:1 Assessment
• Candidate must provide a suitable vehicle Learn moreYour vehicle must be:
Have less than 9 passenger seats
Weigh no more than 3.5t
Have 4 wheels
Have head restraints in all seats
Have an unobstructed rear window
Not be a van or convertible car
• Candidate must also provide wheelchair accessible vehicle for the wheelchair element
• The Assessor with provide a wheelchair